After Care for Treatment with Liquid Nitrogen
Your skin has been treated with liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen produces a localized freezing of the the skin. Although the freezing itself wears off in a few minutes, its effect may not be fully seen for 24-72 hours.
What to expect after treatment:
- The pain and burning sensation which follows the actual freezing usually lasts approximately 20-30 minutes and will be accompanied by redness and swelling of the area that was treated. It may resemble a mosquito bite.
- The area may be tender for several days after treatment
- Within 24 hours after treatment, a blister may form in the treated area. The blister may be a “blood blister” (red-purple in color). If this occurs, you should leave the blister alone. If the blister is large or causes a problem, contact the office.
- If the blister ruptures or crusting occurs, you may cover the area with Vaseline and a Band-Aid. It may take approximately 7-10 days to heal.
- You may get the area wet and continue with your normal activities.
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you call the office after hours and need to speak with a doctor, the answering service will take your call and contact the doctor on call. The doctor on call will return your call as quickly as possible. If it is a true emergency, please contact or go to the nearest Emergency Room.