Wound Care for Biopsy & Shave Excisions
WOUND CARE INSTRUCTIONS:
CHANGE BANDAGE ONCE DAILY FOR 7-10 DAYS
- Wash hands and remove the dressing after 24 hours.
- Gently clean wound with soap and water then pat dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline ointment or antibacterial ointment.
- Apply fresh bandage (Band-Aid).
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR BIOPSY
- Swelling and redness may occur around the wound for several days after your biopsy.
- After several days a thin yellow like film may appear in the center of your biopsy wound.
- If you experience any discomfort, you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm, constant pressure to the dressing with fingertips and a dry cloth for 20 minutes. If bleeding continues, call the doctor.
- If you experience fever, chills, pain, a foul odor, or drainage from the wound, please contact the office.
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you call the office after hours and need to speak with a doctor, the answering service will take your call and contact the doctor on call. A doctor will return your call as quickly as possible. If it is a true emergency, please contact or go to your nearest Emergency Room.
You will receive a card in the mail in approximately 3 weeks if your biopsy is benign and requires no further treatment. If you do not receive a card and have not heard from us in 3 weeks please call the office.